- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Written for Big Bad Challenge at EF.  Banner by Axell and betaed by Dragonflylady

 

 

https://i.imgur.com/inO1rBF.jpg

Chapter 1

 

 

 

Lorne paused at the front door of Black Cat Investigations of Cleveland, Ohio.  He’d heard things about the investigators of BCI that made him, a demon, a little worried.

 

 

 

“You might as well come in, mate,” a slightly British voice called through the door.  “Your heartbeat is drivin’ me bonkers.”

 

 

 

Lorne stepped into the office.  He wasn’t sure what he was expecting, but it wasn’t a bleached blond Goth vampire.  “Uh, I’m looking for Buffy and Spike.”

 

 

 

“Well, you found one of us,” the vampire said.  “Fifty-fifty chance of getting your guess right.”

 

 

 

Lorne was confused, but he decided to just roll with the punches.  “Well, you don’t look like a Buffy.  I’m guessing you’re Spike.  I have a problem in Los Angeles.”

 

 

 

“You do know you’re in Cleveland, mate?”

 

 

 

“Um, uh, yes.” Lorne shook his head.  “Doyle said that if I hadn’t heard from them in a week, that I should contact you.”

 

 

 

Spike tilted his head.  “Isn’t Doyle one of the blokes that work with Peaches since he got back from wherever Lindsey so kindly sent him?”

 

 

 

“If by Peaches, you mean Angel, then, yes.  Angel Investigations took a job to exorcise a haunted house,” Lorne answered his own question while he took a seat.  He pulled a thick envelope of papers from the inside pocket of his jacket, and he handed them to Spike.

 

 

 

Spike opened the paperwork.  He glanced at it before he said, “Tell me all the little details.”

 

 

 

“A week and a half ago, AI was contacted by Isaiah Masters, the current owner of Ravenhurst Hall.  Ravenhurst is an infamous haunted house in Los Angeles.”

 

 

 

Spike flipped through the paperwork until he found a stack of photographs.  He looked through them before he placed one where Lorne could see it.

 

 

 

“Yes, that’s Ravenhurst,” Lorne replied with a nod.  “The architect that designed it also designed Skald Hill Manor in Sunnydale.  I’m not sure if Miss Summers would know that house or not.”

 

 

 

“We’ll ask her later.”  Spike sorted all the way through the rest of the photos.  His eyes narrowed when he got to one particular picture.  “Finish your story, mate.”

 

 

 

“Six months ago, Masters was contacted by a group of ghost hunters that included an ex-Watcher, an ex-potential slayer, several witches, and several scientists.  A month ago, they entered Ravenhurst with their equipment and supplies.  When they didn’t emerge after a week…”  Lorne trailed off when Spike held up a hand.

 

 

 

“I think I know where this is going.    Then, Masters hired Angelus and his bunch to find the first group.  Did he have access to these photographs?”

 

 

 

Lorne nodded.

 

 

 

“Stupid pillock.  Angelus soddin’ knows better.”

 

 

 

“What do you mean?” Lorne asked in a confused voice.

 

 

 

Spike placed the picture that had piqued his interest on the desk between Lorne and himself.  He tapped it with one finger.  “I wasn’t there personally.  It was before I was turned, but Darla was always quite happy to tell us all about it.”

 

 

 

“Tell you about what?” Lorne asked suspiciously.

 

 

 

“She told us all about Angelus’ run in with a Himalayan sect of serpent worshippers that have a habit of sacrificing other supernaturals to their goddess.”  Spike leaned back in his chair.  “They seduced him with several very young virgins which they somehow figured out was the best kind of bait with Angelus.  They started with a bloodletting, and he barely managed to escape.  Glad I wasn’t around.  Have you ever seen a vampire drained of its blood?” He shuddered.

 

 

 

“I knew I should have had Masters sing for me!” Lorne grumbled.  “I wonder if the rescue was even legitimate.”

 

 

 

“Oh, I’m sure it was,” Spike replied.  “They probably needed some sacrifices leadin’ up to the recapture of Angelus.  We’re lookin’ at an apocalypse of epic proportions.  They are probably tryin’ to give their goddess a new body, and Angelus is going to be the main course.”

 

 

 

“I bet Wolfram and Hart is behind this,” Lorne muttered.  “They’d do anything to get rid of Angel.”

 

 

 

Spike shook his head.  “Doubtful.  I did my research after the first time Darla regaled us with the tale.  Anything to get Gramps’ goat, you know.  The goddess’ name is Illustra.  She ruled next to her brother, Illyria.  They predate Wolfram and Hart.”

 

 

 

Buffy stepped into the room.  She put her wet umbrella in a corner before putting a Styrofoam container in front of Spike.   “Here’s your wings and bloomin’ onion.  So, what’s the what?”

 

 

 

“Just an impending apocalypse,” Spike replied while he opened the container.  He inhaled and licked his lips.

 

 

 

“Lucky for you, we specialize in apocalypses and haunted houses.”  Buffy extended her hand towards Lorne.  “Buffy Summers.”

 

 

 

Lorne shook her hand.  “Lorne.”

 

 

 

“Nice to meet you, Lorne.”  Buffy turned to Spike.  “Tell me all about this apocalypse.”  So, they did.

 

 

 

With pictures, and everything.

 

 

 

Buffy stared at the picture of Ravenhurst Manor.  “How on earth does he keep getting himself into these situations?” 

 

 

 

“He’s Angelus, pet.  That should tell you everything,” Spike replied.

 

 

 

“Honestly, though, this will be the fourth time we’ve rescued him since he managed to return to this dimension,” Buffy muttered.  “We’re going to have to start charging him.”

 

 

 

“Sounds like a plan,” Spike said.  “I’ll have McDonald get right on that.” 

 

 

 

“You’ve rescued Angel three times already?” Lorne asked in a faint voice.

 

 

 

“Yeah, you betcha,” Buffy replied.  “The first time was from the trolls, the second time was from wendigos, and the third time was from possessed foliage.  He just keeps getting himself in trouble.”

 

 

 

Lorne wasn’t sure what to say after that.

 

 

 

“Well, we’ll fly out to Los Angeles and rescue Angel, but this is getting ridiculous,” Buffy replied.  “You should stay here with my mom, Lorne.  Just in case we can’t avoid the apocalypse and we blow up … the west coast.”

 

 

 

“Um, I suppose,” Lorne said in a hesitant tone of voice.  “If you think that’s best.”

 

 

 

Buffy nodded.  “I do.  Now, we’ll have a meeting with our colleagues, and get right on this.”  She tapped the folder.

 

 

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

 

 

 

Buffy presented the information on Angel’s latest catastrophe to her friends.  “I know Spike and I have to go, but the rest of you need to think long and hard about whether or not you join us.”

 

 

 

Oz took Ceely Rose’s hand.  “We’d come, but …”

 

 

 

“Ceely Rose is way too close to giving birth to go anywhere, and we won’t take you away from her,” Buffy agreed.

 

 

 

“I’ll go,” Lindsey McDonald said.  “Anything to rub Angel’s nose in.  I can’t figure out why the Powers that Be sent him back.  All he does is get into fixes where he needs to be rescued.”

 

 

 

“I suppose they’re teaching me something,” Buffy chuckled.  “Not sure what exactly.  Maybe patience.  Thanks, Lindsey.  You’re a welcome addition.”  She turned to Amy Madison.  The witch had been their friend ever since Spike and Buffy had rescued her from Hansel and Gretel.  “What about you?”

 

 

 

“I broke up with Pierre again,” Amy replied.  “Sure, I’ll go along.”

 

 

 

Buffy nodded.  “Sounds like a plan.  We’ll leave at dusk with Spike driving the first leg, followed by Lindsey, myself, and then Amy.”

 

 

 

“We’ll get packed,” Amy said.

 

 

 

Buffy turned to the last remaining people in the room; Anya Jenkins, Cordelia Chase, and Tara Maclay.  “I have a very special assignment for you ladies.  If you don’t hear from us in a week from when we enter Ravenhurst Manor, I want you to fly out to Los Angeles … “

 

 

 

“And stage a rescue?” Cordelia asked in an astonished tone of voice.

 

 

 

“No, I want you to burn the fucker to the ground.”